Today is a big day for the entire sports world and the Olympic Games. The International Olympic Committee is selecting/has selected the host city of the 2016 Summer Games. Newspapers around the world are reporting on this event.
Questions for Younger Children
1. What is your favorite game? Why do you like to play this game?
2. If you had a choice between going into outer space or going to the bottom of the ocean where would you prefer to go? Why? (Adults, consider how this question connects to the news story in my mind.)
3. Have you ever been in a contest? What kind of a contest was it? Did you have fun? Why or why not?
4. If your mother was in a contest against another child's mother do you think that the other child should be allowed to decide the winner? Why or why not? Should you be allowed to decide the winner? Why or why not?
Discussion Questions for Older Students
1. Vocabulary terms to discuss: Bid; I.O.C.; Decathlete; and, Encompasses.
2. If you could visit any one of the four cities that bid on the Olympics in the final round what city would you visit? Why!
3. If you were a part of the I.O.C. Voting on the location of the 2016 Olympics what three issues would you keep in mind as you voted?
4. If somebody from the Nineteenth Century came back alive today and saw how fast information travels around the globe what do you think that they would say if they had to talk for five minutes?