Monday, March 30, 2009

Questions to Ask When Encountering a Problem

The other day I read a forum post on Classroom 2.0 that asked, "What are the tech basics no teacher should be without?" (The discussion is located here. One thing led to the next and I thought that teachers, and their students, should know how to diagnose reasons for frustration and go about trying to eliminate these reasons.

Here are three questions that you might ask when encountering frustrations.

1. What am I not able to do that I want to do?
2. Why can't I do this?
3. What would enable me to do what I want to do?


Teachers and students should recognize that they don't have to have all of the answers to eliminate frustration.

For example, people typically know what they want to do, even if they can't do it. Rather than accepting that they can't do something, they could type a question into Google, "How do I....."

Teachers should encourage their students to see frustration as opportunities for learning instead of impediments to learning. In fact, all people should try and see frustrations in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment