Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Great Gatsby and Google Earth

Yesterday I finally had some time to continue working with my new curricular unit which is a unit that challenges students to consider the relationship between F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and the Roaring Twenties, using Google Earth. I'm really excited about this unit because in addition to using Google Earth, students also have a chance to use Google 3D Warehouse and Google Sketch-up.

One of the most important themes that runs through this book is the distinction between "new money" and "old money" between West Egg and East Egg. So, using evidence from the book students find/sketch the houses of both Gatsby and the Buchanans. They then have a chance to consider how the general architecture of the houses might represent different sources of money.

Another focus of the unit is on the Black Sox scandal. Certainly gambling plays a role in the book, as does this scandal itself. So, I'm hoping that sports-minded students will find this an interesting connection.

I'd love to hear any thoughts as to how you might use Google Earth to take engage students in thinking and learning about Great Gatsby.

The unit should be complete by the end of the month. If you are interested in a demo copy let me know via my email on the side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment