1. Think of five ways in which people can be different from one another.
2. Why do you think that black people and white people are sometimes treated differently? Other than their color, do you think that they are different? Why or why not?
3. Have you ever been afraid of anything? If so, what? Why do you think that you were afraid of this? Was there any real reason to be afraid? Explain!
4. Some people dislike others simply because of the color of their skin. If you could say one thing to these people who dislike others, what would you say? Why?
Questions for Older Students
1. Vocabulary terms to discuss: Civility; Disavowed; Tenuous; and, Tinged.
2. Do you think that a large number of opponents of President Obama's policies are likely racist? Would there be any way to tell which opponents are motivated by non-racial issues and which are motivated by racial issues? If so, how? If not, why not?
3. Do you think that President Obama's color is influencing his style of governance? Explain!! If you wanted to develop a more sophisticated response to this issue, what questions would you ask? Why?
4. Why do you think that racism exists? Do you think that it will ever be possible to eliminate all forms of racism from society? Explain!